Welcome to the all new Basketball for the Vertically Challenged “Inside Stuff” blog brought to you by
Ahmad Rashad the BFTVC organizers!
Bringing you up to speed on the news
- BFTVC on Shaqtin’ A Fool? This past summer BFTVC went from operating with Spurs-like efficiency to running into a few bloopers. Here’s the scoop. Our steady home at School of the Future these past 5 years underwent a change in management, and this shift in personnel led to a number of mishaps and miscommunication. And so, despite having paid permits and multiple assurances we were clear, we all had to experience the pain of showing up to play only to learn last second that the floor was being waxed or AC was getting installed, etc.
We truly apologize for the inconvenience, and thank you for your patience! Without pointing fingers (Patrick), it shouldn’t have happened, and we’ll do our best to make sure it never happens again. The school has apologized to us and our forecast predicts calm waters ahead. As Seneca said, to err is human. As Shaq said, we were Shaqtin’ A Fool.
- More gym space, more runs: People have long asked us to schedule more runs and weekday runs. [Insert drum roll] We’ve done it! We have secured a new location at PS35 on Mondays from 8:30PM – 10:30PM. We hosted our inaugural run on 10/23 and we’re hoping to make this our “second home” for weekly runs every Monday. Stay tuned as Monday meetups are expected to go up in early November.
- New Formats: Joining the roster of standard, full court, women’s, 50/50, new member, and seasonal tournament runs, we’ll be introducing two new formats this season:
- Pay-What-You-Can: As a non-profit group run entirely by volunteers, we’re able to charge the lowest rates in town. Even so, we recognize that everyone comes from different financial situations and we’d never want a fee to impede anyone’s ability to play. And so, we are happy to announce the new Pay-What-You-Can weekend format. These meetups will be standard runs with a suggested donation of $6 (instead of a fixed fee-to-play). We’re aiming for December 2nd to be the inaugural run.
- Family Run: As a group that facilitates adult co-ed basketball games, a lot of us on the court also have kids. Wouldn’t it be nice if you could bring your kids with you to come play? If interested, tell us what you think! If there’s enough demand, we’ll be looking to schedule a trial run in January.
- Expanding Our Cooperative Culture: As is well known, the BFTVC organizers are structured like a true monarchy. On the 15th of each month, we sacrifice sheep to our queen Hadas and pray for her mercy. :p Just kidding! In actuality, we’re just a laid-back, non-hierarchically organized team of volunteers who really enjoy ourselves some short people basketball. Outside of meetups and weekly correspondence, we generally meet once every couple months to put our heads together in the hopes of bringing the shorty community the best possible meetups. We invite you to join us in the process.
- Open Invitation to Attend BFTVC Annual Board Meeting: The official date will be sometime in December. More details to come.
- New Suggestion Basket: Have any ideas about how we can make the group better? We want to hear from you! Hit us with your best shot by dropping a message in the new Suggestion Basket.
- Track your BFTVC Credits: Say you RSVPed to play ball, but then you or your +1 couldn’t make it. We now have a public document where you can track your paid credits. Note that our policy is to automatically issue a refund if credits are not used within 8 weeks of the initial RSVP.
- Seasonal Tournaments: The Fall 2017 tournament will occur on November 11th. Sign up here!. In the meantime, check out the pantheon of past winners in the Hall of Fame.
- Sunday, October 29: Standard Run at Earth School
- Saturday, November 4: Standard Run at SOTF
- Saturday, November 11: New Member Run at SOTF (under 15 meetups)
- Saturday, November 11: Fall Tournament at Hudson Guild Elliott Center
- Monday, November 13: Weekday Run at PS35! (pending)
- Saturday, November 18: Women’s Run at SOTF
- Monday, November 20: Weekday Run at PS35! (pending)
- Saturday, November 25: Standard “Turkey” Run at SOTF
- Monday, November 27: Split-Court Women’s and Coed Run at PS35!(pending)
- Saturday, December 2: Inaugural “Pay-What-You-Can” suggested donation standard run at SOTF
- Monday, December 4: Weekday Run at PS35! (pending)
- Monday, December 11: Weekday Run at PS35! (pending)
- Monday, December 18: Weekday Run at PS35! (pending)